|
|
|
|
|
3rd Zulqada 1435 | Friday, Aug 29, 2014
World

Obama vows to do all to prevent more school massacres

Monday, 17 December 2012
Comments(0)
Washington, December 17:

President Barack Obama vowed to use his office to prevent heinous acts like last week's massacre at an elementary school as he met the relatives of those killed trying to make sense of the senseless bloodshed.

Twenty-six people -- 20 of them children, ages 6 and 7 -- were killed Friday morning at Sandy Hook Elementary in New Town, Connecticut, about 60 miles north of New York City, before the shooter fatally shot himself.

Mourning the slain "beautiful little kids" a tearful Obama Sunday night regretted that, "as a country, we have been through this too many times" as he vowed to use his office to prevent such heinous acts in the future.

Addressing families of the slain in Newtown, Obama said: "In the coming weeks, I'll use whatever power this office holds to engage my fellow citizens, from law enforcement, to mental health professionals, to parents and educators, in an effort aimed at preventing more tragedies like this, because what choice do we have? We can't accept events like this as routine."

The president's remarks in Newtown marked the fourth time he's consoled the nation from a grieving community - the first three coming after shootings at Fort Hood, Texas; Tucson, Arizona; and Aurora, Colorado, events he mentioned in his speech.

Meanwhile, Adam Lanza, 20, has been positively identified as the killer gunman, Connecticut State Police Lt. J. Paul Vance said Sunday, according to CNN

The police spokesman also revealed that the shooter's mother, Nancy Lanza, is the woman found dead from "multiple gunshot wounds" in the Newtown home she lived in with her son.

While more details have emerged about Friday's massacre, authorities still don't have an explanation as to why it happened.

"We will and we are searching diligently and nonstop to attempt to answer that," Vance said.

The first authorities heard of the shooting at Newtown's Sandy Hook Elementary School came in a call around 9:30 a.m. Friday.

It was then Lanza got into the building -- not by being buzzed in, though a security system recently implemented by Principal Dawn Hochsprung, but by firing. Hochsprung was among the six adults killed.

Lanza used a Bushmaster AR-15 "assault-type rifle" to gun down children in two classrooms, according to Vance, then killed himself with a handgun. "Multiple magazines," each of which contained 30 bullets, were fired from the Bushmaster weapon in the school, he added.

"We surmise that it was during the second classroom episode that he heard responders coming and apparently at that (point) decided to take his own life," said Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy on ABC.

All the victims died after being shot multiple times, said H. Wayne Carver II, Connecticut's chief medical examiner.

As to Lanza, the gunman, the few relatives and acquaintances who have talked publicly are at a loss to explain how this could have happened, CNN said.

He had no known criminal record. He visited a gun range, as did his mother, said ATF spokesperson Ginger Colbrun.

(Arun Kumar can be contacted at arun.kumar@ians.in)

Latest News

Saradha scam: Mamata accuses CBI of 'propaganda' ahead of bypolls

Accusing the CBI of carrying out propaganda against her Trinamool Congress in its Saradha chit fund ...

BSF, Pakistan Rangers hold flag meeting

A sector commander level flag meeting was held Friday between Border Security Force (BSF) and Pakistan Rangers on the i ...

SC notice on plea to screen travellers fro...

The Supreme Court Friday issued notice to the central government on a PIL seeking direction that passengers coming on international flights ...

Related News

Britain raises terror threat level

British Home Secretary Theresa May Friday announced that Britain's Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC) has changed th ...

No facts to substantiate accusations against Russia: Lavrov

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov Friday said accusations against Russia of invading Ukraine ha ...

Malaysia Airlines to cut 30 pc staff in wake of dual air tragedies

In the aftermath of the dual air tragedies and subsequent losses in recent months, Malaysia Airlines ...

Post new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Rs. 27730 (Per 10g)

Opinion Poll
Do you think KCR would continue celebrating all national events at Golconda Fort beginning from Independence Day?
YesNoCan't say

Matrimony | Photos | Videos | Search | Polls | Archives | Advertise | Letters

© The Siasat Daily, 2012. All rights reserved.
Jawaharlal Nehru Road, Abids, Hyderabad - 500001, AP, India
Tel: +91-40-24744180, Fax: +91-40-24603188
contact@siasat.com