Monday , December 5 2016
Home / Crime / Crime and Accident / 2 die after consuming wild mushrooms

2 die after consuming wild mushrooms

SUICIDE

Shillong: Two persons of a family died and two others were taken ill after consuming wild mushroom in a remote village in Meghalaya’s South Garo Hills district, police said today.

Jonilla S Marak (65) and her grand-daughter Bikame (4) died yesterday at a hospital in Tura, they said.

Police said the family had cooked wild mushroom on Sunday and fell ill shortly after consuming it.

Bikame’s seven-year-old brother, Tebiangku and his mother Anila (35) are in hospital, they said, adding their condition is stated to be critical.

Death from mushroom poisoning in Garo Hills region came less than a week after a similar incident in East Khasi Hills district, in which six members of a family died after consuming wild mushroom.

“The public are advised to avoid consuming wild mushrooms and fruits as much as possible, especially those that are yet to be identified and certified to be safe for consumption,” additional district magistrate Z J Sangma said.

Read Also

SUICIDE

Youth stabbed 25 times with ice pick

8