Chennai: Two school students electrocuted in a moving bus when one of the students attempted to pluck a wet leaf stalk from the roadside coconut tree, which was hanging over a live high tension wire near Periyakulam in Theni district on Sunday.
The bus was carrying 62 students from Madurai and nearby places. They were returning after an excursion in the evening. The tour was organised by an NGO at Achampathu village, the report said.
Two students B Mukesh (15), who has completed Class IX, and S Karthick Selvam (18), a Class XII pass out, both from Achampathu village in Tirumangalam taluk died instantly. At least 15 other students had also suffered electric shock, with five sustaining major injuries.
The other injured students have been admitted to a near by Periyakulam Government Hospital and severely injured were rushed to Theni Medical College Hospital.
Senior police officials visited the spot and conducted inquiries. The Police said the children were wearing wet clothes as they had not changed their dress after taking bath in the river.
O Panneerselvam, the Finance minister visited the hospital hospital and consoled the injured persons.