New Delhi : In a major setback for Salman Khan, the Supreme Court on Tuesday admitted the appeal by Maharashtra Government challenging the Bombay High Court verdict acquitting the Bollywood star.
During the hearing today, Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi on behalf of the Maharashtra Government, urged the Apex court to put the hearing on fast track, but the bench refused the plea and advised to approach the Chief Justice of India (CJI) bench for the same.
Arguing for the actor today, Kapil Sibbal told the court that he has no objection to the case is to be heard on the basis on merit.
Earlier, calling the actor’s acquittal a “travesty of justice”, AG Rohtagi had described the high court ruling as “perverse” and said the theory that the car was being driven by Khan’s driver should be discarded because the driver statement came years after the incident.
Salman had been acquitted by the Bombay High Court in December 2015 and later in February this year, the Supreme Court sent a notice to Salman, asking why his acquittal should not be overturned.
On September 28, 2002, Khan’s Toyota Land Cruiser had crashed into men sleeping on a pavement outside a bakery in Mumbai’s Bandra, killing one. (ANI)