Kabul: An Afghan official says the official death toll from last week’s militant assault on a Kabul military hospital has risen to 50.
Officials originally set the death toll at 30 for the March 8 attack. But Gen. Helaludin Helal, the deputy defense minister and head of the team investigating the attack and its aftermath, released the new number in a press conference
The attack was claimed by the Islamic State group. Helal said there were five attackers in total: one suicide bomber who detonated an explosive belt and four gunmen who stormed the building.
Helal said 24 people have been arrested and are under investigation either for involvement in planning the attack or dereliction of duty in failing to prevent it.