Srinagar: Two youth were killed and three others were injured on Tuesday as security forces opened fire after clashes with a stone-pelting mob in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kupwara district, police said.
High tension has gripped Handwara town where clashes are still continuing between a violent mob and the security forces, they said.
Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti, expressing her tremendous shock at the incident, said she had spoken to army’s Northern Command chief, Lt. Gen. D.S. Hooda, who told her that an inquiry had been ordered and the guilty would not be spared.
A police statement said that on Tuesday afternoon, “an alleged incident of misbehaviour with/molestation of a girl by an army man took place in Handwara town” of Kupwara and “within minutes public in large numbers gathered there and attacked the army bunker in Handwara chowk”, assaulting personnel there, ransacking and attempted to set it afire”.
“In retaliation, the security forces deployed used force to disperse the violent rampaging mob. In the process two individuals namely Mohammad Iqbal, resident of Bomhama, Kupwara and Nayeem Qadir Bhat, son of Gulam Qadir Bhat, resident of Banday Mohalla, Handwara, sustained fire-arm injuries.
“They were evacuated to hospital where they, unfortunately, succumbed to their injuries,” said, the statement, adding the state police “deeply regrets the loss of life”.
Three other civilians including a woman identified as Raja Begum, resident of Langate (Kupwara), have been injured in the incident.
Reports reaching here said the condition of the injured woman was “very critical”.
A criminal case has been registered in police station Handwara and investigation launched to ascertain the facts, it added.
The army has also regretted the loss of life in Handwara incident and assured that those found guilty would be punished.