Friday , December 9 2016
Home / News / India / This attack will only make Bangladesh more ‘resolute’: Indian HC

This attack will only make Bangladesh more ‘resolute’: Indian HC

16hc702

Dhaka: Asserting that Bangladesh has not seen an attack similar in both scale and devastation as the one in Dhaka last night, Indian High Commissioner to Bangladesh Harsh Vardhan Shringla said on Saturday, that the horrific episode represented a higher level of action by the terrorists.

Speaking to ANI here, Shringla said that he paid a visit to military hospital and offered his condolences to the parents of Tarishi Jain, the Indian girl who was a victim of the terrorist attacks.

“Obviously terrorism has taken its toll and I think the world has to stand united. As our Prime Minister has said, terrorism is an issue that concerns all countries, we all have to work together to fight the scourge of terrorism,” he stated.

The diplomat further stated that the attack has been devastating, but also said that the there is a lot of resilience in Bangladesh and people here have learnt to fight against adversity, right from their struggle for liberation to their fight against poverty.

“So, I am confident that this will not put the people of Bangladesh back, in fact it will make them more resolute and more forward and we in India are happy to work with our friends in Bangladesh in that endeavour,” Shringla said.

Meanwhile, condemning the attack which killed 20 people including one Indian, Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and expressed his condolences.

“The attack in Dhaka has pained us beyond words. I spoke to PM Sheikh Hasina & strongly condemned the despicable attack,” the Prime Minister said in a series of tweets.

Asserting that India stands firmly with its sisters and brothers of Bangladesh in this hour of grief, he added that his thoughts are with the bereaved families.

“I pray that those who are injured recover quickly,” Prime Minister Modi added.

Earlier today, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj confirmed that an Indian national had been killed in Dhaka and expressed her condolences to the family of the victim.

20 people were killed by the gunmen who attacked the upscale cafe Holey Artisan and taking the diners in hostage in the diplomatic area of Dhaka last evening.

The 12-hour-long hostage crisis at the cafe popular with foreigners ended after a two hour long assault by armed forces’ commandos killing six gunmen.

One assailant has been held by the security forces.

Most of the victims were killed brutally with sharp weapons.

Thirteen hostages were rescued in the operation which included two Sri Lankans and a Japanese.

Though it was reported that the Islamic State claimed responsibility on the attack, the U.S. State Department has said it cannot yet be confirmed.

The Islamic State has claimed a number of past attacks in Bangladesh through its media affiliates, but the government has consistently denied presence of the militant in the country. (ANI)

Read Also

Venkaiah-naidu

Opposition should apologise to people: Naidu

8