Washington: Parents please take note! Researchers have suggested that children younger than six years of age should remain indoor while mowing and teenager should be taught safety tips before operating the machine as 13 children on an average receive emergency treatment daily.
The findings suggested that children should be at least 12 years old to operate a push mower and at least 16 years old before using a ride-on mower. An adult should supervise teens before they are allowed to operate a lawn mower on their own.
The results revealed that most common types of lawn mower injuries were 39 percent cuts and 15 percent burns. The hand/finger was the most commonly injured body region, followed by the leg, feet and toes.
More than eight percent were serious enough to be admitted to the hospital. Bystanders and passengers were almost four times more likely than operators to be admitted.
The Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital conducted the study.
Children younger than five years are more likely than older children to be injured from touching a hot surface, from a “back-over” injury, or as a bystander or passenger. Children aged five to 17 years were more likely than younger children to be struck by or cut by the lawn mower or a projectile.
Researchers suggest that automatic safety measures, that are designed into the lawn mower, are the best way to prevent injuries from mowers.
“While we are happy to see that the number of lawn mower-related injuries has declined over the years, it is important for families to realize that these injuries still occur frequently during warm weather months,” said Senior study author Gary Smith.
“We would like to see manufacturers continue to improve design and include additional needed safety features on all mowers,” Smith added.
The team suggested that children should never be passengers on ride-on mowers and children younger than six years of age should be kept indoors during mowing.
Never let children play on or near a lawn mower, even when it is not in use.
The study appeared in the journal of Emergency Medicine. (ANI)