News Sports

Bracewell sentenced to 100 hours of community work for drink-driving

Bracewell sentenced to 100 hours of community work for drink-driving
New Zealand's Doug Bracewell (R) appeals succesfully for LBW to dismiss Australia's Mitchell Marsh for one run during the fifth day of the second cricket test match at the WACA ground in Perth, Western Australia, November 17, 2015. REUTERS/David Gray - RTS7GPL

Wellington [New Zealand]: New Zealand fast bowler Doug Bracewell has been slapped with 100 hours of community work after he pleaded guilty to drink-driving offence in the Hastings District Council last month.

In addition, the 26-year-old has also been disqualified from driving for a year.

Bracewell’s breath-alcohol reading was found to be three times more than the New Zealand legal limit, when police pulled him over while driving in Hastings.

It was his third drink-driving offence in 10 years.

According to ESPNcricinfo, his lawyer Ron Mansfield told that Bracewell was drinking at a function when his girlfriend called to inform about their parrot being killed by dogs.

The counsel further argued that the offence did not occur out of disregard towards road rules, but out of a a “genuine concern” for his partner.

Reflecting on his punishment, Bracewell later said that the judgment “was pretty fair” before adding that he is now looking forward to move on.

“I’m just looking forward to moving on… and obviously not getting behind a wheel anytime soon after having a few drinks. It was an unfortunate situation, but that’s no excuse for driving a vehicle while having a few drinks. I’m disappointed in myself, but, at the same, time I’m just wanting to move forward,” he said.

Meanwhile, New Zealand Cricket said it would not impose any further penalty on Bracewell, however, adding the all-rounder is unlikely to resume his competitive cricket career until early next year as he is still recovering from a serious leg injury.

“NZC notes Bracewell suffered a serious leg injury in February and is unlikely to resume his competitive cricket career until next summer,” the local media quoted the board as saying.

“Under these circumstances, and considering the penalty imposed in the Hastings District Court today, NZC will be taking no further punitive action,” it added.(ANI)