New Delhi, Dec. 1 : Former union minister P. Chidambaram has dubbed the raids conducted on two firms in Chennai, one of which had links to his son Karti Chidambaram, as a ‘malicious onslaught’ launched by the BJP-led NDA Government.
“I am traveling and I have been informed about searches conducted on certain firms in Ã‡hennai allegedly linked to my son. If the government wishes to target me, they should do so directly, not harass friends of my son who carry on their own businesses and have nothing to do with politics,” said Chidambaram in a statement.
“We have made it clear, repeatedly, that no member of my family has any equity or economic interest in any of the firms that are being targeted. They are companies that are professionally managed and are capable of answering any questions that may be put to them by the authorities. I condemn the attempt to link them to my son and harass them on that ground,” he added.
Chidambaram further said the government’s agenda is being implemented by an officer of the Enforcement Directorate, who has a pending dispute with the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance.
“Orders in his case were apparently passed during the term of my predecessor. He met me and wanted me to intervene in his favour. I declined and I told him that I cannot reverse orders that were issued during the term of my predecessor. The change of government has given him an opportunity to misuse his powers to harass my son and his friends,” said Chidambaram.
“My family and I are quite prepared to face the malicious onslaught launched by the government,” he added.
The Enforcement Directorate and Income Tax Department had earlier conducted raids in Chennai on firms allegedly owned by Karti Chidambaram. (ANI)