New Delhi: A class 9 student has died after allegedly taking iron supplement at a Delhi government school. The parents of the girl claimed that her health deteriorated after she took her weekly dose of iron supplement at her school. The girl was admitted in Hindu Rao hospital, administered glucose. Her hands started swelling and she died after some time. The girl had been given the tablets on May 4 along with other students, said Directorate of Education (DOE) officials. Next day, the girl complained of stomach ache and was sent home.
Iron and folic acid tablets are considered extremely safe by doctors. The tablets are given to children who suffer from anaemia, and to pregnant women. “These tablets are given every Wednesday to school children across Delhi and no adverse reaction has ever been reported,” said an official from the health department.