New Delhi: With a 17-year old succumbing to dengue on July 21, the national capital recorded its first casualty of 2016 to the vector-borne disease.
Senior health officials confirmed that the death has been reported by the Lok Nayak Jaya Prakash Hospital in the city.
The deceased has been identified as Farheen, who died at the city hospital at 1:46 a.m. where she was undergoing treatment.
As of July 16, a total of 50 patients have been confirmed this year. Last year, there had been 29 cases of dengue recorded as of July 16. Delhi had seen a record-high number of cases last year, with 15,867 recorded cases of the disease.
Earlier, Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain said around 250-300 fever clinic corners would be set up in the hospitals, dispensaries and mohalla clinics by September.
“Right now, we need to prevent mosquitoes from breeding. Since very few cases are from within Delhi, treatment facilities don’t need to be scaled up right now,” he said. (ANI)