Wednesday , October 12 2016
Home / News / Donald Postpones Running Mate Announcement After Nice Attack In France

Donald Postpones Running Mate Announcement After Nice Attack In France


WASHINGTON: Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump postponed announcing his pick for running mate, which had been scheduled for Friday, following a Nice attack that has left 80 people dead.

“In light of the horrible attack in Nice, France, I have postponed tomorrow’s news conference concerning my Vice Presidential announcement” Trump posted on Twitter Thursday.

The deaths occurred when a truck ploughed into a crowd watching a Bastille Day fireworks display in the southern French resort city.

A local government official told French media that the driver was shot dead after barreling down the palm-lined Promenade des Anglais in what he called “a major criminal attack.”

Trump was to formally make his vice presidential announcement Friday, although it was already widely reported that he has chosen Indiana Governor Mike Pence.

The Nice attack comes just three days ahead of the Republican convention in Cleveland, Ohio to officially select the White House nominee who will face Democrat Hillary Clinton in November.

Witnesses of the attack, speaking to local television stations, described bodies lying on the promenade covered in sheets.

One AFP reporter on the scene reported hearing screams and seeing flying debris as the truck plunged into the crowd.

The incident has not yet been claimed by any group.

Read Also

Syrian men carry injured people amid the rubble of destroyed buildings following a reported air strike on the rebel-held northwestern city of Idlib on September 29, 2016.

In a statement the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that at least five air strikes hit various areas in the city of Idlib. / AFP PHOTO / Omar haj kadour

Syria violence: Airstrikes and shelling leave 20 dead