NEW DELHI: Pakistan Prime Minister on Thursday condemned the surgical strikes conducted by the Indian Army on terrorist launchpads at the Line of Control (LoC), Radio Pakistan reported. Sharif’s comments came just minutes after Director General of Miliary Operations(DGMO) Gen. Ranbir Singh announced that that the strikes had taken place.
Sharif described the strikes as “unprovoked and naked aggression,” by the Indian Army.
“We condemn this attack. Our desire for peace should not be interpreted as our weakness,” Sharif said in a statement. “Our valiant forces are fully capable of defending the territotrial integrity of (our) country and can thwart any evil design made to undermine the sovereignty of Pakistan,” he added.
DGMO Singh said significant casualties had been caused by the Army’s strikes, and that the operation was now over. There were no Indian casualties during the strikes.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice-President Hamid Ansari, Former PM Manmohan Singh, and Jammu and Kashmir Governor Narinder Nath Vohra and J&K Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti have all been briefed the surgical strikes by the Army.
DGMO Singh’s announcement came after Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired a Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) meeting to review the situation along the LoC earlier today.
Inputs from PTI and ANI