Ahmadabad: A major tragedy was narrowly averted in Ahmadabad when the driver of a van, which carried 12 children on their way to school, smelt a gas leak and hurriedly evacuated the children, shortly after which the van burst into flames.
Sandeep Samuel, the driver, regularly takes the 12 children to their school in the east of the city.
He said later that he smelt a gas leak and decided to evacuate the children. The CNG engine erupted into flames that took nearly 30 minutes to put out.
The van was completely destroyed. The driver later took the children to school in another car.