Thursday , October 13 2016
Home / Crime / Crime and Accident / Fire breaks out in Parliament Annexe building

Fire breaks out in Parliament Annexe building


New Delhi: A fire broke out on the second floor of the Parliament Annexe building here on Sunday afternoon and it took about half an hour to douse it, fire officials said. No casualty was reported.

“The fire broke out around 1.30 p.m. in the store section in room number 219 situated on the second floor of the Parliament Annexe building. No one was reported injured in the incident,” a Delhi Fire Service (DFS) official told IANS.

The official said 13 fire engines were pressed into service and brought the fire under control at 1.55 p.m.

“People working in the building were evacuated immediately after the fire was noticed,” a police official told IANS.

No casualty was reported, the official said.

The blaze, reportedly caused by an electrical short-circuit in an air-conditioner, filled the first and second floors of the building with smoke.

Sanjay Tomar, who led the team of firemen, however, said the reason behind the incident could be ascertained only after due investigation. “Reason of the fire is not known. It’s a matter of investigation and truth will come out after investigation is completed.”

“The fire was noticed around 1.30 p.m. It was doused by 1.55 p.m. The fire was confined to room number 219 and the flames were doused before they could spread further,” he said.

The Janata Dal-United party was holding a meeting in the building when the fire broke out. The meeting continued uninterrupted.

Read Also


3 family members drown in rivulet