New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday issued a notice to actor Salman Khan on the Maharashtra Government’s plea challenging his acquittal in the 2002 hit-and-run case.
While issuing notice to the Bollywood actor, the apex court said the matter needs to be considered in the evidence, including the statement of author of FIR Ravindra Patil, which was discarded by the Bombay High Court.
The court has also agreed to hear the plea of the family members of the victim seeking compensation.
Salman’s counsel told the apex court that the police had implicated him in the case and he was not driving the car that night.
His counsel also said that there was no reference in prosecution evidence that he was drunk.
The Maharashtra Government had on January 22 filed a petition in the apex court against the Bombay High Court’s judgement acquitting Salman of ‘all charges’, overturning the trial court’s order sentencing him to five years imprisonment.
Earlier, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis had announced that his government would challenge the High Court’s verdict on its merits.
On December 10 last year, Salman was given a clean chit in the case with the court observing that the main witness was ‘unreliable’ and that there were discrepancies in the case.
The actor is accused of killing one person and injuring four others in Bandra, Mumbai, in 2002 while driving his car under the influence of alcohol. (ANI)