Wednesday , August 23 2017
Home / News / Indian Wells: Kyrgios pulls out of quarterfinal with Federer

Indian Wells: Kyrgios pulls out of quarterfinal with Federer

Tennis - Australian Open - Melbourne Park, Melbourne, Australia - 18/1/17 Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts during his Men's singles second round match against Italy's Andreas Seppi. REUTERS/Issei Kato

New York: The much-anticipated duel between Roger Federer and Nick Kyrgios in Indian Wells is off, as the Australian has withdrawn from the tournament after falling ill.

Hours before the pair were scheduled to meet Friday at the BNP Paribas Open, Kyrgios announced on social media he had been sick overnight.

I’m so sorry but I can’t play @BNPPARIBASOPEN today. ???? pic.twitter.com/K5spWRgtLk

— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) March 17, 2017
“At this stage we think it’s food poisoning and I’m praying it’s nothing more,” the 21-year-old said in a statement. After a restless night of being sick I have nothing left and to play a great champion like Roger I need to be at my best to have a chance. I don’t take this decision lightly. These are the matches we train for but I’m in no fit state to take to the court,” he said.
Kyrgios, who beat the Serbian Novak Djokovic 6-4 7-6 (7-3) this week, was aiming to make his third consecutive ATP Tour semifinal.

“I’m very impressed with him taking out Novak, back-to-back weeks, on Novak’s best surface. I hope it’s going to lead to something great for Nick, that he realizes if he puts his head down and focuses that he can bring it, day in and day out, week in and week out,” Federer said after reaching the final eight.

After cementing his quarterfinal place with a straight-sets defeat of Rafael Nadal, Federer will now play either American Jack Sock or Japanese fourth seed Kei Nishikori in Saturday’s semifinals. (ANI)