Tuesday , December 6 2016
Home / News / India / Italian senator says marine charged with killing fishermen won’t return to India

Italian senator says marine charged with killing fishermen won’t return to India

italian-marines1

New Delhi: Massimiliano Latorre, one of the two Italian marines accused of killing two Indian fishermen in 2012 off the Kerala coast, will not return to India, according to the Head of Italian Senate’s defence committee. Latorre was allowed by the Supreme Court in September 2014 to go to Italy initially for four months after he had suffered a brain stroke. His stay there was extended subsequently.

“Massimiliano Latorre will not go back to India and work is being done on the possibility of requesting for Salvatore Girone to be able to return to Italy,” Senator Nicola Latorre was quoted as saying by Italy’s ANSA news agency today. Salvatore Girone, the other accused, is still here and Italy has been seeking his return as well.

The Supreme Court on July 13 last year had allowed Latorre to stay in Italy for another six months on medical grounds, after the government did not object to his plea. The six- month period ends tomorrow. The matter may come up for hearing in the apex court tomorrow.

The marines, who were on board ship ‘Enrica Lexie’, are accused of killing two Indian fishermen off the Kerala coast on February 15, 2012 after mistaking them for pirates.

The Supreme Court which was handling the case suspended the court proceedings relating to the trial of two marines in August 2015 following an order to this effect by International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS) which was approached by Italy for international arbitration.

PTI

Read Also

jayalalithaa-2

Tried best to save Jayalalithaa: Apollo

8