New Delhi: Retrenched Indian workers of Saudia Arabia’s Saad group will start coming back to India from Thursday night, external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj has said.
She said VK Singh, minister of state in the ministry, is already in that country to oversee return of the Indian workers, estimated to be in a few thousands.
“Indian workers in Saad group will start returning home today. My colleague @Gen_VKSingh is in Saudi Arabia to accomplish this task. Indian Embassy in Saudi Arabia is doing outstanding work there. @IndianEmbRiyadh,” she tweeted.
Indian workers in Saad group will start returning home today. /1
— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) October 20, 2016
Thousands of Indian workers in Saudi Arabia had lost their jobs due to slowdown in Saudi economy,triggered by low oil prices and cut in spending by the government.Some of them even struggled to buy food following which the Indian government intervened.
Some of these Indians have already returned to the country.
MoS Singh had made a number of visits to that country in last few months to help the jobless Indians and ensure return of those who wanted to come back.
The Indian government had earlier requested the Saudi authorities to give the unemployed Indian workers exit visas without NoC (No-Objection Certificate) from employers and also urged it to clear the dues of workers who have not been paid for months, whenever they settle the accounts with the companies concerned.
As per rules, no foreign employee can leave the country without NoC by the employers.