- ½ kg of chicken (500 grams)
- ⅛ tsp of pepper powder
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (optional)
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
Spices to roast and grind with enough water
- 1 ½ tbsp. coriander seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- ¼ tsp cumin (optional)
- 4 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- ¼ tsp. pepper corn
- ¾ tsp. fennel seeds
- 4 to 5 red chilies or ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 ½ to 2 tbsp. Coconut oil
- ¾ cup of thin coconut milk
- ½ cup of sliced onions
- 1 tbsp. of ginger garlic paste
- 1 ½ tsp coconut oil
- 3 to 4 pearl onions sliced thinly
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1 red chili (break and remove the seeds)
- Marinate chicken with the marinating ingredients. Set aside for at least 30 to 45 mins.
- Dry roast all the spices and grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry onions till they turn golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Then add chicken and fry on a high flame for about 2 to 3 mins.
- Pour the grinded spice mix. Mix well. Cook till the chicken is done.
- Pour the coconut milk. Mix well and simmer for 5 mins.
- Heat a pan with oil and fry onions till they turn pink; add curry leaves and red chili till it turns crisp.
- Pour this over the curry. Kerala style chicken curry is ready to serve.