New Delhi : With the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) allowing the Delhi Police’s plea to try the minor accused of running over 32-year-old Siddharth Sharma as an adult in a trial court, the victim’s family on Saturday expressed happiness over the decision, saying they are fighting to set a precedent so that the killing spree by the kids stop.
“The board has considered all the points that were there in the chargesheet. It was mentioned in the psychological report of the accused juvenile, that at the time of incident, he was physically and mentally capable to understand the consequences. He was aware of the consequences of rash driving,” victim’s sister Shilpa Mittal said.
“The case will be again to be started again in the children’s court. After the JJB’s order, the court will now be tried in a session’s court. The children court will again have to consider that this boy has to be tried as an adult,” she added.
Expressing her happiness over the order, she said they were fighting to set a precedent.
“We are fighting to set a precedent. This is really important because kids those who are driving today, and killing spree, will at least stop somewhere,” she said.
Pronouncing its order, the board said that the accused was in no manner lacking any mental and physical capacity to commit the alleged offence.
“On the date of incident he had the ability to understand the consequences of the offence. He drove very fast and dangerously, despite warning of his friends, who were co-occupants of his car at the time of incident,” the board said in its order.
The board added that the conduct of the accused, wherein he did not stop after causing the accident and fled, clearly reflects that he understood of the offence alleged against him.
“The circumstances collectively indicate that he was indifferent towards life and safety of other users of the road but mature enough to think of ways to escape from lawful punishment of the offence,” the order read.
The Delhi Police’s application sought transfer of the case to a trial court to try as adult the boy, who turned major just four days after the April 4 incident.
The Delhi Police had on May 26 chargesheeted the juvenile in the JJB for the offence of culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
The offence of culpable homicide not amounting to murder entails a maximum of 10 years jail.
The accused has been termed a ‘perpetual defaulter’, as he had been fined thrice – twice for speeding and once for parking wrongly – last year.
The police also chargesheeted the juvenile’s father and the family driver in this case.
The accused allegedly ran over Sharma with his Mercedes in north Delhi’s Civil Lines area on April 4.
The Delhi sessions court upheld the order granting bail to the juvenile, saying it is for the JJB to decide how long the child has to be kept in the reform home. (ANI)