Kuala Lumpur: NRI televangelist Dr Zakir Naik, who is under scanner over alleged terror-related activities, has refuted all such allegations and claimed that he is instead a messenger of peace.
Breaking his silence on a wide range of allegations made against IRF and the Peace TV owned by him, Naik said on Thursday that he is not a terrorist but someone who spreads the message of peace.
Naik was reacting to the Centre’s five-year ban against his organisation – the Islamic Research Foundation – and freezing of its accounts.
In an interview with Malay daily ‘Sinar Harian’ at its Karangkraf office in Shah Alam, the 50-year-old founder of the IRF chief said, “I have never done a rebellion or conducted terrorist acts against humans all my life. I only deliver a message of peace to people.”
“There are certain quarters who do not want peace in this world. So, they make baseless allegations against me,” he added.
Speaking on five-year ban on his organisation IRF and prosecution on terrorism charges, Naik said, “I ask the Indian government to prosecute me in an international court or in Malaysia.”
The reactions from Naik came in the backdrop of the Delhi high Court dismissing his plea and ruling that the Centre’s decision to ban IRF was taken to safeguard sovereignty of India.
Delhi HC dismisses Zakir Naik’s plea, says Govt’s decision to ban IRF taken to safeguard sovereignty of India
While delivering its order, the Delhi HC said, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has sufficient material for imposing the ban.
National Investigation Agency (NIA) had earlier summoned Zakir Naik to appear before it on March 14 in connection with the ongoing probe.
Naik, IRF, IRF Educational Trust and others have been booed by the NIA under the stringent Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, criminal conspiracy (120-B) and Section 153 A of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony.