New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday sent three Islamic State (IS) suspects to 10 days’ custody with the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
During proceedings held in camera, District Judge Amar Nath allowed the NIA to quiz the three — Sheikh Azhar-Ul-Islam alias Abdul Sattar Sheikh, Mohammed Farhan alias Mohammed Rafiq Shaikh and Adnan Hassan alias Mohammad Hussain — until February 19, according to informed sources.
The NIA told the court that custodial interrogation of the accused had yielded facts pertinent to establishing the links amongst them and their association with the IS.
They were presented before the court with their faces covered after their police custody expired.
“The sustained questioning also led to facts which need to be further verified and investigated to establish their involvement in furtherance of the activities of the IS,” the agency said.
“The accused have disclosed that they were active supporters of Islamic State and remained in close contact with several active members of the IS using internet, telephone and other means.”
The NIA said their further interrogation was needed to unravel the larger consiparcy of IS activities in India and abroad, including recruitment of resident and non-resident Indians by the IS.
Many facts regarding their involvement and their association with the IS leadership were yet to be ascertained because they have not been forthcoming, it said.
Defence counsel M.S. Khan opposed the NIA plea to extend their custody, saying the probe agency had already got sufficient time to interrogate the accused.
The three men have been booked on charges of criminal conspiracy under the Indian Penal Code and the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
The NIA said the trio was allegedly involved in a conspiracy to identify, motivate and radicalise recruits and train Indian citizens both in India and other countries.
The court was told that Azhar hails from Jammu and Kashmir while Farhan and Adnan are residents of Maharashtra and Karnataka respectively.