India News Top Stories

NIA Officer Tanzil Ahmed’s wife dies of injuries

NIA Officer Tanzil Ahmed’s wife dies of injuries

New Delhi: NIA officer Mohammad Tanzil Ahmed’s wife Farzana – who was battling for her life with bullet injuries died in AIIMS on Wednesday morning.

Farzana, 40, was shot along with her husband and children in an attack in Uttar Pradesh earlier this month was referred to AIIMS trauma centre from Noida’s Fortis Hospital where she succumbed to her injuries.

She received bullet injuries in her leg and abdomen and was on ventilator support. “There was some improvement in her condition, though she continued to remain critical,” said a source.

As per Inidatoday reports, NIA released a statement condoling her death.

“With deep sense of grief, it is to inform that Ms Farzana Khatoon w/o Late Tanzil Ahmad NIA Insp(A BSF Asstt Comdt) succumbed to injuries in AIIMS Trauma Centre ICU today at 10:45 hrs,” it said.

Khatoon’s last rites will take place at the Jamia Millia Islamia’s burial ground at around 6 pm today, said the NIA statement.

In the “planned attack”, the killers had pumped 24 bullets into 45-year-old Ahmad and four into his wife Farzana, as their daughter, 14, and son, 12, watched the gruesome incident from the back seat of the Wagon-R car they were travelling in.
The children had escaped the attack.

Initially, the NIA had said Farzana was “out of danger. There is no damage to her vital organs”.

Ahmad, who has been with the NIA ever since the organisation was formed in February 2009, had been investigating many cases especially related to banned Indian Mujahideen terror outfit. His superiors termed him as a thorough professional in intelligence gathering as well as investigation.

Uttar Pradesh Police has arrested two alleged killers including a relative of Ahmad even as the alleged mastermind is still absconding.

Police has claimed that domestic dispute was the motive behind the crime.

Among the two arrested is nephew of Ahmed’s brother-in-law Rehan. The alleged mastermind, identified as Muneer, is still at large, police had said.

According to the police, the motorcycle-borne accused followed Ahmad who was returning home in Sahaspur village of Bijnor district with his family after attending his niece’s wedding in another village in the same district on the intervening night of April 2 and 3.

The attackers overtook his vehicle at Sahaspur village and Muneer allegedly fired at Ahmed and his wife.

Along with Rehan, his accomplice Zainul was also arrested.