Mumbai: Maharashtra Transport Minister Diwakar Raote has taken the ‘no helmet, no fuel’ decision with good intentions, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis informed the State Assembly here today.
“Raote took the decision with good intentions, in view of the fact that making the wearing of helmets mandatory was not yielding much results as far as road safety is concerned,” Fadnavis said.
“I will discuss this matter with Raote and see if a way out is possible,” Fadnavis said.
He was responding to former Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar’s demand for reconsidering the ‘no helmet, no fuel’ decision for two-wheelers.
“Petrol and diesel retail outlets across the state have threatened to shut down their establishments from August 1 if the government doesn’t withdraw its decision,” Pawar said.
The dealers have decided not to pick up or stock petrol and diesel at 4,500 pumps in the state, including 500 in Mumbai, Pawar, NCP MLA, said.
On July 21, Raote had announced the new rule in the Legislative Assembly to promote road safety and save lives.
Mumbai had topped the charts in road accidents among 50 cities with population of over a million with 23,468 accidents last year.
Maharashtra was ranked second after Tamil Nadu in the country with 63,805 road accidents in 2015, according to a report released by the Road Transport Ministry in June this year.