A Leading Investment Company in Qatar
Role Objective: Leading the Credit Risk division for the development and realization of all strategic and operational goals to achieve overall Divisional budgets and objectives. Continuously manage Bank’s quality of financing assets through a systematic underwriting process considering that any risk taken is within the approved risk appetite level. This is through the implementation of an effective credit policy and procedure w.r.t credit administration, portfolio management and collection functions.
Detailed Roles and Responsibilities:
• Identify measure and manage credit, legal, sharia, reputation and regularity risk relating to financing activities. Develop and implement the strategy, business plan, policies and procedures of the Credit Risk Division, ensuring full alignment to the overall Organizational business strategy.
• Oversee the independent credit assessment/review processes for all financing applications (Corporate, Retail and Investment) to ensure that underwriting process followed is due-diligently achieving its aim of optimal quality of underwritten financing assets.
• Control and maintain risk mitigating instruments being real estate, shares, insurance policies collaterals ….and others with periodical calculation of coverage, revaluation, and renewal.
• Ensure that the Credit portfolio for the whole Bank is maintained in an orderly and compliant manner with complete and legally approved documentations and regular usage of approved limits.
• Maximize the collection from non-performing assets through the Recovery thus minimize amounts written off as bad debts, in accordance with agreed targets.
• Ensure strong communication with all interdependent divisions across the organization with timely resolution of any arising issues.
• Provide professional risk advice to management as and when required.
• Maintain good networks across local and international banks to understand competitor activity in the area of credit risk and consider the implications for the Bank.
• Liaison with internal and external auditors, Sharia ,Qatar Central Bank [QCB].
• Drive and formulate risk policies with its regular review for necessary amendments and lead risk projects.
• Establishing and quantifying the acceptable organization’s ‘risk appetite’ level.
• Ensure that clients’ activities comply with risk policies, limits, procedures, sharia, regulatory and legal requirements.
• Prepare Credit risk portion in capital adequacy requirement for Basel II and leads the preparation of Basel III and ICAAP credit risk Requirements.
• Ensure that Credit application assessment unit of corporate application is utilizing internal risk rating [IRR] module which is regularly updated and same IRR is portfolio updated. Automation of work flow is a value added. Process and approve retail applications as per delegation in the automated front end system and develop same as necessary for new products /changes in existing products.
• Monitoring of credit applications for assurance of fast TAT to support business growth and evaluate new products with emphasis on risk embedded based on current delinquency signals.
• Ensure that the Credit policy & Risk processes within MAR are operating effectively and efficiently and achieving high operating standards, and that professional risk management standards are consistently applied, achieved and maintained across the Division.
• Overall management of the credit administration unit to carry the functions of authorization of limit feeding, disbursement, maintenances in existing finance structures, change in collateral. This is in addition to preparation and execution of legal financing agreements and collateral documents in approved standardized forms.
• Regular risk reporting for management and relevant Committees on the most significant risks, and to business heads to ensure they are aware of risks relevant to their parts of the business to understand their accountability for individual risks; how to mitigate it and deal with it.
• Proper understanding of the consumer credit industry, as well as the structure and drivers of retail lending credit products.
• Address issues raised by Internal Audit or Compliance reviews to implement timely resolution of any identified issues with focuses on minimized comments.
• Ensure that appropriate delegation rights and responsibilities are in place and communicated to stakeholders so that all approvals are as per delegated authority.
• Continues delinquency management with early red signals to business on delinquency causes, trends, segments, and sectors …others with the ultimate aim of managing provisions and suspended profit to the minimal –not exceeding tolerance level.
• Necessary Periodical QCB and MIS reporting. In charge of all QCB Inspection communications w.r.t credit issues.
• Participate in any required bank presentation, seminars, workshops, meetings, system issues -selection, vendor meeting due-diligence business decisions …etc as necessary.
LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT
• Build, lead and develop an effective team through communication, performance management, development plans, and timely feedback, reward and recognition practices.
• Cultivate an environment that supports nationalization and reflects MAR values.
• Providing support, education and training to staff to build risk awareness within the organization
• Seek opportunities to upskill interdependent divisions on the Credit Risk Division to assist in embedding strong risk management procedures across all Divisions and build awareness amongst employees.
• Credit Committee (as and when required)
• Division / Department Heads
• Credit Risk team
• Corporate, SME and Retail teams
• Compliance Function
• Management Committees (as and when required)
• Board Secretary
• All other employees (as and when required)
• Relevant Regulatory bodies (including QCB)
• External auditors
• Sharia Board
• Legal Firms
The Job holder may be required to undertake additional duties, which may be reasonably expected and forms part of the function of the job.
• Bachelor degree in finance related discipline, MBA preferred. Certification in internationally accepted credit Risk management is a value added.
• 10+ years experience working in a related role in a financial services institution with at least 5 years of similar corporate and retail credit risk experience acting as a head of Credit Risk at senior management level.
• Strong English and Arabic language skills
• Worked in Islamic banking environment.
• Analytical Ability
• Business Acumen
• Problem and dispute Solving
• Strategic Thinking
• Compliance & Regulatory Reporting
• Strong analytical judgment in respect of credit matters
• Good numerical or statistical skills
• Good economic and commercial awareness
• Personal Excellence
• Leadership and Motivation
• Building Strong Relationships
• Quality Decision Making
• Powerful Communication
• Flexibility and Adaptability
• reliability and independence
• expressing ideas clearly and persuasively
About the Company
A leading Investment Company in Qatar.