The all-time favourite Indian dessert with a refreshing fruity twist! Rice cooked in milk, cardamom, sugar, flavored with oranges and some nuts.
1. 5 cups full cream milk
2. 1/2 cup sugar
3. 4-5 green cardamoms
4. 3 large oranges-peel segments and break unevenly
5. 12-15 almonds-blanched and shredded
6. 2 Tbsp pistachios-blanched and shredded vark leaves
How to Make Santre ki Kheer:
1.Bring the milk to a boil in a wide, heavy-based pan; add the sugar and cardamom and simmer over low heat.
2. Stir often enough to avoid scorching.
3. Simmer till the mixture is thick.
4. Time taken will depend on the richness of milk and your vessel.
5. The wider the vessel, the faster the milk will thicken.
6. When thick and the colour darkens a little, shut off the heat.
7. Cool and add pieces of orange.
8. Mix well, chill and serve garnished with silver leaves, almonds and pistachios.