New Delhi: Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday condemned the attack on Istanbul’s Ataturk international airport, which left 36 people dead and over a 100 injured, and termed it as a ‘cowardly attack on innocents’.
“My prayers are with the families of the victims & the ppl of #Istanbul,” Gandhi tweeted.
“Shocked &deeply saddened by news of yet another terror attack in #Istanbul.Strongly condemn this cowardly attack on innocents,” he said in another tweet.
According to Istanbul Governor, at least three people were involved in the attack at one of Europe’s busiest Airports that took place late last evening.
Police fired shots to try to stop two of the attackers just before they reached a security checkpoint at the arrivals hall at Ataturk airport but they detonated their explosives, one of the officials said.
Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim suggested that Islamic State was behind the attack.
“According to assessments so far, 36 people have lost their lives along with three suicide bombers. We also have (people who are) wounded. Many of them suffer from minor injuries but few people suffer from serious injuries. Treatment is underway.”
“Findings by our security forces indicate that this terror attack was carried out by Daesh (Islamic State). Even though the findings point to Daesh, the probe is still underway. The airport reopened to air traffic as of 2:22am (1122GMT) and air traffic returned to normal,” he added.