New Delhi : Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju on Wednesday said the revelations being made in the media and public domain with regard to the Ishrat Jahan case are ‘worrisome’.
Speaking to reporters outside the Parliament, Rijiju said that it would not be appropriate for him to make any statement on this sensitive issue given the present scenario.
“Whatever has come in the media is worrisome. I work for the ministry. So, it won’t be right on my part to make any statement. Things are in public domain. It is a sensitive matter,” he said.
Mani had earlier claimed that he was pressurized to file the second affidavit in the Supreme Court in the Ishrat Jahan case. He also alleged that the changes in the second affidavit ‘were made at the political level by the then UPA government’ and that he was ‘tortured’ to sign it.
His claims came days after the former home secretary G.K. Pillai alleged that Chidambaram as the country’s home minister during the UPA regime ‘bypassed him’ and rewrote an affidavit submitted to a court on Ishrat Jehan, the 19-year-old student killed in an encounter in 2004.
Chidambaram earlier on Monday said the revised affidavit was absolutely correct, adding he accepts full responsibility for the affidavit as a minister. (ANI)