New Delhi: A fire incident allegedly due to a Samsung Note 2 onboard was reported in a Chennai-bound Indigo flight no 6E-054 on Friday.
After the flight took off, few passengers noticed the smoke smell coming from a hat-rack and alerted the cabin crew. On examination, the cabin crew identified smoke coming from a bag containing Samsung Note 2 kept in the hat-rack of seat 23C.
The Pilot-in-Command was informed and the crew managed to extinguish the fire and quickly transferred the Samsung Note 2 into a container filled with water in lavatory. Air Traffic Control was informed about the incident as well.
Following this incident, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) plans to extend its advisory restricting the use of Note 2 phones onboard planes. The incident takes place within a month of DGCA and other overseas regulators cautioning passengers against the use of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 handset inside aircraft.
The aircraft made a normal landing at Chennai airport and all passengers deplaned as per normal procedure. This mobile handset will be further examined by the concerned departments. IndiGo has voluntarily informed the DGCA,” the airline said.
Samsung did not immediately respond to the incident.
After incidents of the battery catching fire was reported, Samsung decided to order a recall of the product and consequently delaying sales in India.