Kabul [Afghanistan]: The governor of Afghanistan’s northern Kunduz province, Assadullah Omarkhail, has said clashes between the Afghan security forces and the Taliban are still on, but added that the situation is gradually being brought under control.
“There is good coordination between Afghan security forces and the forces are trying to maintain security of Kunduz and have control over all areas,” the Tolo News quoted Omarkhail, as saying.
He added that National Directorate of Security (NDS), police and army forces are trying to maintain security.
According to him, the Taliban has been defeated in Kunduz and “they failed to reach to their aim.”
Meanwhile, a local police commander, Mohammad Ali, has said that most parts of the city had fallen to the Taliban on Monday night.
Ali added that the government forces have started fighting with the Taliban street by street.
According to reports, ground forces are also receiving air support and air strikes have been launched in different parts of the city.
The Taliban insurgents on Sunday attacked Kunduz city from four directions and clashed with the security forces.
The Taliban had on September 28 last year carried out a coordinated attack on Kunduz and took control of the city for three days. (ANI)