Johannesburg [South Africa]: Nico Rosberg, who recently shocked the world by announcing his retirement, has revealed that he would have remained in Formula 1 for the next season had he not won this year’s World title.
Barely a week after winning the 2016 Formula One World Championship, the Mercedes driver on Friday announced that he has retired from the sport with immediate effect.
“I never give up so if I came second I would have going on for another year in 2017 for sure,” he was quoted as saying by Sport24.
“It was unbelievably intense and really indescribable at the last four races. That’s the moment where it was my championship to lose,” Rosberg said about his 2016 championship. “Apart from that, it was the toughest thing mentally, incredible intensity. It was all the more special to come through after that and see the chequered flag and take the title.”
Rosberg’s career is well noted for his intense rivalry with fellow Mercedes driver Hamilton. Both have raced each other for 17 years starting from the junior formulas, with Hamilton always being the upper hand in the race till the 2016.
“Big respect also to Lewis, of course, who was a big competitor for all these years, at an awesome level and one of the best drivers out there for sure. Even that makes it that little bit more special as well that I was able to take it away from him,” Rosberg said.
The 31-year-old made the surprising announcement through his Facebook account, stating that winning the championship had been his only dream and wanted to end his career on a high note.
Rosberg started his career with Williams F1 team, for whom he raced from 2006 till 2009.
He later joined Mercedes in 2010 alongside seven time World champion Michael Schumacher where he raced with till the end of his career. (ANI)