New Delhi: A day after rejecting the Uttarakhand Government’s notification on withdrawing the case related to the sting operation involving Harish Rawat, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is all set to question the Chief Minister, say sources in the agency.
The agency yesterday rejected the notification after taking legal opinion which said there was no ground for its withdrawal.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) workers had on Monday staged a protest against the Uttarakhand Government in Dehradun over the state cabinet’s decision to send a proposal to the CBI, asking it to drop investigation into sting videos which allegedly show Rawat striking a deal with the rebel MLAs.
The cabinet meeting, chaired by state minister Indira Hridayesh earlier on Sunday, had informed the CBI that it would set up a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to conduct its own probe.
The CBI, on its part, said they have received the communication from the Uttarakhand Government and are getting the matter legally examined.
The video shows Rawat indulging in horse trading a day before President’s rule was imposed in Uttarakhand on March 27. The BJP had alleged that the sting was proof of unfair means used by the Rawat regime to stay in power.
Rawat has maintained his innocence in the matter and termed the entire episode as a conspiracy to tarnish his image.
The Centre revoked President’s rule from Uttarakhand on May 11 after Harish Rawat proved his majority on the floor of the House. The Congress won by a margin of 33-28 in the floor test that took place on May 10.
The nine Congress rebels were barred from voting in the 71-member assembly. (ANI)