New Delhi [India]: ‘Water is the only drink for a wise man’ – Henry David Thoreau.
From our very childhood, we know that drinking large amount of water is necessary to keep fit and ourselves hydrated, avoiding illness.
Mostly, instead of normal water, we crave for juices and soft drinks, because of the flavour and fizz. But we forget, these flavoured, artificial drinks harm our body.
What if you could drink flavoured water, which does not harm your body, rather helps you stay healthy?
That’s exactly what infused or detox water does for you, says Smita Sundararaman, founder and Managing Director – NatureHealz.
Sundararaman has come up with some recipes that will help you to ‘drink your way to better health.’
– Saunf or Fennel Seed Water: To prepare this water, toss two tablespoons of raw or lightly roasted Fennel seeds into a liter of boiling drinking water. Switch off the flame and cover the pan till it cools to room temperature. Transfer it to a jug and pour yourself a glass. Keep sipping on this water throughout the day. Alternately, fill a jug with room temperature drinking water and add the Fennel seeds. Let this steep overnight and drink the water all through the next day. As this method has no heating, all the nutrients in the Fennel seeds are preserved. Consume up to four glasses of Saunf Water a day to get maximum benefits.
– Benefits of Fennel Seed water:
Helps in weight loss as it suppresses the appetite, speeds up metabolism and prevents hunger pangs;
Flushes out toxins from the body;
Purifies the blood;
Helps you stay focussed through the day while helping you stay away from caffeine;
Increases secretion of melatonin from the pituitary gland, helping you get a good night’s sleep.
– Coriander or Dhaniya Water: Add two teaspoons of Coriander or Dhaniya seeds to one and a half cups of boiling water. Cover and let it boil for 15 minutes on a low flame. Turn off the flame, strain the water and let it cool in a jug. Once it is cool, pour yourself a glass, add a teaspoon of honey and mix well. Drink it on an empty stomach in the morning to get maximum benefits.
– Health benefits of Coriander water:
Helps people with thyroid, diabetes and weight problems;
Clears up the skin;
Aids better hair growth;
Helps fight nasty colds;
Keeps cholesterol in control.
– Lemon water: A warm glass of Lemon water with a dash of honey first thing in the morning is just what your body needs to flush out toxins and get hydrated after a long night’s sleep. Lemons contain potassium which is excellent for your brain and nervous system. Lemon water builds up your immunity, helps digestion, detoxes the body, clears up your skin, gives you fresh breath, and aids in weight loss.
It is a great refresher on a hot day and gives you a fresh burst of energy. Drink a glass of Lemon water daily and notice how you begin avoiding coffee.
– Amla or Indian Gooseberry Water: Soak slices of Amlas with a little salt in water. Keep it for a day and then strain. Drink this water to revitalize your body. Amla juice prepared by blending Amla with water is also an excellent way to consume Amlas. It is one of the richest sources of Vitamin C known to man.
– This is how Amla water helps:
Gets rid of acne;
Gives you stronger and healthier hair;
Reduces wrinkles and tightens the skin;
Maintains eye health and improves vision;
Helps in weight loss.
– Tulsi or Holy Basil Water: Tulsi is one of the magical herbs used for a long time in Ayurveda. It has immensely beneficial medical properties which can help to cure all kinds of ailments. It is a very easy herb to grown and can be found in most Indian households. Boil Tulsi leaves with two pods of black pepper in water to make Tulsi water.
-Benefits of Tulsi water:
Helps to fight fever and other bacterial and viral infections;
Improves immunity and helps in recovery from dengue, malaria, hepatitis, tuberculosis and swine flu;
Detoxifies the body and skin;
Has antibiotic and anti-carcinogenic properties;
Aids in overcoming respiratory illnesses;
Aids digestion and relieves stress;
Contains vitamins A, C, and essential oils;
Helps diabetics keep blood sugar levels in check;
Maintains dental health.
– Ginger Water: Also known as Ginger tea, Ginger water is prepared by boiling freshly cut pieces of ginger root with water. Strain it and add a dash of honey to make the perfect tea.
– This is how this infusion helps you:
Decreases join pain and inflammation;
Gives relief from nausea;
Has antioxidants, which reduce the amount of harmful free radicals in your body;
Has anti-carcinogenic properties;
Aids in digestion and helps to fight against cold.
So, let’s take a vow to stay away from juices, colas and coffee and switch to detox water. (ANI)