(Dr. Javed Jamil)
Spiritual and Moral System
* Islam does not promote isolationism or monasticism. It does not support such spiritual exercises as are bereft of responsibility towards family and society,
* Spiritual exercises in Islam are aimed at building character; and character-building in the sight of God is not limited to an individual; the character of the family and that of society are of equal importance.
* The spiritual exercises primarily involve Ehsan meaning the Best Conduct, Taqwa that means utmost alertness to act only within the boundaries provided by the Shariah, control of Nafs so that it does not fall victim to the vicissitudes of the corrupt world, and concern for others only for the Pleasure (Ridha) of God.
* One cannot become a true Momin until one achieves gnosis (Maarifah or Irfan) of God and His Messenger. Gnosis applies to a specific stage of knowledge which is attained not just through studies and researches but also through personal experiences attained through total involvement.
* One must be courteous in behaviour, give as much in charity as one can (not for fame but for the pleasure of God), encourage others to perform virtuous deeds and avoid all forms of evils, help the week, the needy and the downtrodden, not get involved in any of the undesirable acts; shun violence, not speak ill of others, not boast, not feel arrogant, not preach hatred, not believe in superstitions,
* Spiritualism in Islam is the other name of internal revolution that ultimately leads to one’s determination and resolve to join external revolution.
* Quran is the Majestic Word of the Majestic Ruler of the Universe. If man makes an effort to understand it, it is because it is meant for him. Otherwise it is impossible for man to do justice to the Word of God. The greatest service to Him will be to respect His Word the way it deserves. It deserves not just to be read, understood or researched; it deserves to be applied in personal, family as well as social life. If mankind fails to apply it in this world, it will be a loser here and in the Hereafter. Individuals that make sincere efforts in that direction will of course earn the Pleasure of God; and this is all that matters.
Let us raise our hands and pray!
Prayers (from Quran)
The Acknowledgment is in respect to God, the Lord of the Multi-verse; Kind-Merciful, the Master of the Day of (Divine) Order. It is You (God) we worship and it is You we implore for help. Guide us to the Established Track; the track of the ones You made honoured; who were neither condemned to disgrace; nor remained in dark. (1: 1-7)
“Our Lord! Grant us the best of this world and the best of the Next World, and save us from the Punishment of the Fire!” (2: 201)
“Our Lord! Do not hold us accountable if there is a lapse or fault on our part. Our Lord! Do not burden us the way you burdened people in the past. Our Lord! Do not burden us more than what our power can withstand. Expiate our sins, and grant us pardon and have mercy on us. You are our Master; so help us against the Community of Dissenters.” (2: 286)
“Our Lord! Forgive our sins and any breach of propriety in our actions, make our feet firmly entrenched and help us against the community of the dissenters.” (3: 147)
“Our Lord! We have wronged ourselves (our souls have wronged ourselves): if you do not grant us forgiveness and bestow your mercy on us, we shall certainly be the losers.” (7: 23)
“My Lord! Grant forgiveness to me, my parents, all those who enter my house in the state of commitment (to God) and all the committed followers, men and women. (I also pray to You) not to grow the (committed) offenders in anything but destruction!” (71: 28)
“O God, the Head of the State (of the Universe)! It is You who grants power to anyone in accordance with Your (Principle of) Allowing and You who snatches it from anyone in accordance with Your Allowing. It is You who makes anyone distinguished in accordance with Your Allowing and You who makes anyone disgraced in accordance with Your Allowing. In Your hand is the ultimate good. Undoubtedly You have the authority over everything. You cause the day to cut the (hours of the) night and You cause the night to cut (the hours of) the day. You bring the living out of the non-living and the non-living out of the living and You give immeasurable provision to anyone in accordance with Your Allowing. (3: 26-27)
“Our Lord! Grant acceptance to (this service) from us: You are Prescient Hearer indeed.
“Our Lord! Make of us Seekers of Peace in You (Muslims), and also make our generation a community of Muslims (Peace-Seekers in submission to God), and show us the method of performing our rites; and grant us pardon; You are the Forgiving- Merciful.” (2: 127-128)
“My Lord! Make my entry an entry for the cause of the truth and my exit also for an exit the cause of the truth; and grant me from your side a powerful support. (17: 80)
“Our Lord! Bestow on us a generous favour from yourself and accomplish our plan of action in a perfect manner. (18: 10)
“My Lord! Grant me the ability of right judgment and make me join the ranks of the excellent performers. Grant me (such ability) that I am mentioned with respectability in the future. Make me one of the inheritors of the Garden of Bliss. Forgive my father who remained directionless and do not make me disgraced on the Day when (mankind) will be raised. (26: 83-87)
Now keep patience for the decision of your Lord; you are truly there in Our eyes; moreover, keep reiterating the acknowledgment of your Lord when you stand up and also reiterate for a certain part of the night and at the time of the retreat of the stars! (52: 48-49)
Eid Mubarak to you all and your families and friends in advance!
* Dr Javed Jamil is India based thinker and writer with over a dozen books including his latest, “Muslim Vision of Secular India: Destination & Road-map”, “Qur’anic Paradigms of Sciences & Society” (First Vol: Health), “Muslims Most Civilised, Yet Not Enough” and Other works include “The Devil of Economic Fundamentalism”, “The Essence of the Divine Verses”, “The Killer Sex”, “Islam means Peace” and “Rediscovering the Universe”. Read more about him at http://www.worldmuslimpedia.com/dr-javed-jamil. Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/javedjamil2015/, also http://javedjamil.blogspot.in/. He can be contacted at [email protected]