New Delhi: A right mix of well-fitted clothes, neutral make-up and minimal accessories is the key to smart dressing in office, says an expert.
Meha Bhargava, founder and CEO of Styl.Inc and an image consultant, lists some core rules of power dressing at workplace.
* Make sure your clothes fit right: Too loose, too tight, too short or too long isn’t right.
* Avoid loud colours: When we say design a palette, we don’t mean all neons or gold. If you like bright colours, limit it to accessories like a scarf or a bright blouse under a neutral suit.
* Keep a check on your undergarments: The most distracting faux pas is visible lingerie. Keep a constant check on the same.
* Stockings: It might be old school but nothing screams refined and classy when a women wears (skin-coloured sheer) stockings under her skirt.
* Shoes: Closed-toed shoes are the need of the hour. Good condition, well-polished, medium or high heel pumps or flats should solve your purpose.
* Accessorise in modesty: Dangling earrings were never for the workplace. Anything distracting is a strict no-no. Invest in studs or pearls that look aesthetic and feminine. A purse completes a look, let it be a strong statement structured bag and not a flimsy bag that could double up as a grocery bag.
* Grooming: Take grooming very seriously. Chipped nails, or over-the-top nail paints were never considered classy. Add a dash of clear nail paint or French paint them. Keep you hair in check, a classy bun or have them neatly pinned.
* Make-up: Avoid loud make-up, keep those smokey eyes for the dinner later, but stick to light-weight make-up for the day. A good foundation/base, a little dash of corals or pink blush for those cheeks an eyeliner or kajal along with a medium tone lipstick or a gloss should do just fine.