New Delhi/ Srinagar: Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) Lt General Ranbir Singh on Sunday said that the terrorists in the Uri attack were foreigners. He added that initial reports suggested that they were from Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM).
He said that 13 to 14 of the army men killed died because of fires in their tent and temporary shelters.
“We recovered 4 AK 47 rifles, 4 Under Barrel Grenade Launchers and other war like stores from the 4 slain terrorists,” Singh added.
Singh said that he had spoken to his Pakistani counterpart and conveyed ‘serious concern’ over some of the equipment with terrorists having Pakistani marking.
Ranbir Singh assured the media that the Indian army was prepared for any evil designs by terrorists, and would give a befitting response.
The Indian army is carrying out deliberate and methodical search of area in and around military complex in Uri, said the DGMO.
Praising the army, the DGMO asserted that the entire operation had been done in a ‘deliberate and professional manner’ and said that ‘all intelligence agencies and security forces are working in close synergy, taking action on the inputs received’.
Lt Gen Ranbir Singh also stated that Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has landed in Srinagar and is being briefed by the Army Chief about the ground situation.
Earlier, in a strongly worded statement, Home Minister Rajnath Singh said the terrorists who carried out the attack in the Army Brigade Headquarters in Uri were highly trained and heavily armed and vowed to hunt down those behind it.
Expressing his deep disappointment with Pakistan’s continued and direct support to terrorism and terrorist groups, he said, “Pakistan is a terrorist state and it should be identified and isolated as such”.
After an hour-long reviewed meeting convened in the wake of the Uri incident, Rajnath Singh, who postponed his scheduled visit to Russia and the United States, said that he has briefed Prime Minister Narendra Modi regarding the deliberations.
The meeting was attended by National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, top officials of Ministries of Home and Defence and Army and paramilitary forces.
“There are definite and conclusive indications that the perpetrators of Uri attack were highly trained, heavily armed and specially equipped,” he said.
The Home Minister said those behind this terror incident would be brought to justice.
Rajnath Singh said he was deeply distressed by the terror incident and the loss of 17 soldiers.
“My heartfelt condolences to the families of the martyred soldiers. I pray for speedy recovery of the injured,” he said.
Condemning the “cowardly” terror attack on an Army camp in Uri, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday assured the nation that those behind the “despicable” strike won’t go unpunished.
He saluted the soldiers who were martyred in the attack and said their service to the nation will always be remembered.