New Delhi: A 35-year-old woman was electrocuted after she came in contact with a high-tension live wire while working at a field in the district, triggering protests by locals against power supply company authorities.
The deceased, Sugan Bai (35), went to the field at Gurdawan village here and while working, she came in contact with the live wire hanging there, Nalkheda police station spokesman Ganesh Joshi said.
Woman electrocuted in Agar Malwa; angry villagers block road
Blaming electricity department’s negligence for the woman’s death, the enraged villagers blocked the Nalkheda-Amla road and demanded action against the guilty.
The village sarpanch, Devilal, and agriculture field owner Kailash Meghwal Dulaji told reporters at the blockade site that the wire was dangling 4-5 feet above the ground when the mishap occurred.
Devilal and Daulaji jointly said that they had drawn the attention of electricity officials to the dangling live wire many times, but no action was taken resulting in the unfortunate incident.
They alleged that the electricity officials were asking for money to mend the power line.
Meanwhile, after the area Sub-Divisional Magistrate G S Dawar talked to power department superintendent engineer and assured the villagers that dangling wires across the district will be fixed, the protesters lifted the road blockade.
He also assured government help of Rs 1.5 lakh to the family of the deceased.
Police have registered a case and started investigation into the incident.