Saturday , October 15 2016
Home / News / Hyderabad / Yakub verdict a ‘huge setback’, says Owaisi

Yakub verdict a ‘huge setback’, says Owaisi


Hyderabad, July 29 : All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen ( AIMIM) chief Asaduddin Owaisi on Wednesday dubbed the verdict on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon as a huge disappointment and a setback.

“The order of the Supreme Court is a huge disappointment and a setback because after more than eight-nine judges, not only of the Supreme Court but of the High Court, have stated that Yakub should not be given capital punishment, and that is why it is huge disappointment and a setback,” said Owaisi.

“After having said this, if capital punishment given by the courts of law can bring closure to the innocent victims of the bomb blasts then I demand should also be given to the original sin, that is the destruction and demolition of the Babri masjid,” he added.

The Supreme Court earlier rejected Yakub Memon’s petition on his death warrant, paving the way for his execution tomorrow.

He is expected to be hanged inside the Nagpur jail at 7 a.m. tomorrow.

The apex court had earlier dismissed the curative petition of Yakub. A three-judge bench comprising Justices Dipak Misra, Prafulla C. Pant and Amitava Roy said proper procedure was followed in disposing of Yakub’s curative petition.

Yakub had earlier today reportedly filed a fresh mercy plea with President Pranab Mukherjee, who had rejected it last year.

Chief Justice of India H.L. Dattu had constituted a larger three-judge bench after a two-judge bench of Justices A.R. Dave and Kurian Joseph yesterday gave a split verdict on Memon’s plea.

While Justice Dave dismissed his plea without staying the death warrant, Justice Kurian differed and favoured a stay. (ANI)

Read Also


Uniform Civil Code: Protests at mosques in Hyderabad