Hyderabad: A new scam has proliferated across the city in the past few months. Scamsters posing bank officials have duped people by gaining remote access to their mobile phone screen through an unidentified mobile application. They call up or send an SMS to the victim and tell him his KYC (Know Your Customer) needs to be validated or updated, offer to help him complete the procedure online and then hack into his Paytm savings account or bank account.
In January, Ravi Shankar of Kukatpally got a message from an unknown man who identified himself as a customer care executive from an online company asking to update your KYC by downloading an app from the play store. Ravi lost Rs. 62, 542 from his Paytm as his savings account was hacked by an unidentified user.
Last month, Sangareddy-based Mohammed Fakruddin lost Rs. 78, 399 after a fraudster got him to download an app to complete his KYC details. Cybercrime police are looking into the cases.
How the scam works:
- You get a call that your wallet or bank KYC is invalid.
- The caller says it can be validated online so that your account is active again.
- You are asked to download an app to facilitate step-by-step guidance.
- When you use the app, the caller can see your phone screen.
- He asks you to transfer a small token amount to your wallet.
- When you do so, he can see your password and other details.
- He uses them to simultaneously transfer larger amounts from your bank.
Precautions to avoid KYC scam by Cyberabad police
- Not to believe messages or calls asking to update KYC details of their Paytm accounts or any other accounts.
- Not to reveal the account details to anyone.
- Not to download any application without knowing its purpose and genuineness.
- Not to transfer money to unknown person’s accounts even for checking.
- Your accounts may be hacked by the fraudsters through the applications which you download without your knowledge and thereby you may be cheated.
Get the latest updates in Hyderabad City News, Technology, Entertainment, Sports, Politics and Top Stories on WhatsApp & Telegram by subscribing to our channels. You can also download our app for Android and iOS.