Washington: The United States can so far not confirm the alleged use of chemical weapons by Russia-ally Syrian government in Idlib province, said US Special Envoy for Syria on Wednesday.
“We are watching [the situation] very closely, also the reports of chemical weapons use. So far, we cannot confirm it, but we are watching it,” Sputnik quoted James Jeffrey as saying.
This development comes a day after the US warned the Syrian government over carrying out chemical attacks as a counter-offensive, particularly in its northwestern region, the remaining holdout of the Islamic State.
In a statement, the US State Department said, “We continue to see signs that the Assad regime may be renewing its use of chemical weapons, including an alleged chlorine attack in northwest Syria on the morning of May 19, 2019.”
The alleged attack took place on May 19 on the border of Idlib province.
The Syrian government has been accused of attacking civilians in Idlib. United Nations has also warned of a humanitarian catastrophe.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is trying to regain control over the last rebel-held province.
The multi-sided armed conflict in Syria has been raging since 2011, with Russia, Turkey and Iran being the guarantors of the ceasefire regime.
Assad regime has been here and now accused of using chemical on its own people.
International inspectors say that Assad’s forces have carried out a series of chemical attacks in the course of the brutal civil war, which has killed more than 370,000 people and displaced millions since 2011.
Fighting erupted in northwestern Syria last month breaking a truce brokered by Russia and Turkey in 2018.
At least 167 civilians have lost their lives in Idlib since April 25. The province is home to about three million people.
More than 370,00O people were killed and millions were displaced in Syria and abroad since the beginning of the Syrian war in March 2011.