Navi Mumbai: A Class XI student set himself on fire inside premises of his school here on Friday allegedly after his parents refused to buy him a motorcycle, police said.
The boy has been admitted to a hospital in Airoli with 90 per cent burns. He is alive.
“At about 7.15 am in the morning this incident happened. The teenager who is a student of Class XI went to the toilet the school and poured kerosene oil on himself and burnt himself. Staff at the school rescued him and got him admitted to a nearby hospital,” Ashok DSP, Zone-2, Navi Mumbai said.
“He was later shifted to a hospital in Airoli. The boy received 90 per cent burns on his body,” the DSP said.
According to relatives of the victim, his parents had refused to buy him a motorcycle.
Police is investigating the matter and further details are awaited.