Tokyo: Former Nissan Motor chair Carlos Ghosn on Wednesday said that he is “getting ready to tell the truth” about the scandal that resulted in his arrest on charges of financial misconduct.
“I’m getting ready to tell the truth about what’s happening. Press conference on Thursday, April 11,” stated a post on a newly-created Twitter account under Ghosn’s name.
The press conference would be his first public appearance since he was freed on bail last month. According to Efe news, sources at the Hironaka Law Office, which defends Ghosn, confirmed that the conference will be held on April 11, but did not specify a venue.
Ghosn, 65, was arrested in Tokyo on November 19 and was released on bail on March 6. Since then his movements, computer usage and contacts have been restricted in accordance with conditions set by the court.
He faces three charges in the courts of Japan, two of them for allegedly underreporting his pay by tens of millions of dollars. The third charge is for aggravated breach of trust of Nissan for allegedly using the company’s books to cover personal losses.
Ghosn’s lawyers on Tuesday expressed their doubts whether the trial will begin in September and also left open the possibility that the prosecution may add new charges against the former President of Nissan Motor, Renault and Mitsubishi.
According to Efe news, judicial sources leaked to local media on Wednesday the possibility of a new charge against Ghosn, also for aggravated breach of trust of Nissan over alleged irregularities in payments made to a dealership in Oman.
The report said that it wasn’t confirmed if Ghosn would have to return to jail if new charges were laid. His bail applied to the three initial formal charges.