NEW DELHI: Apple iPhone users are being warned to uninstall at least 17 apps malicious apps that install malware on iOS devices.
Specifically, they’re called “clicker Trojan malware” designed to carry out ad fraud-related tasks in the background.
According to a new report from the research team at Wandera, a software-as-a-service firm specializing in mobile security, “Clicker Trojan is a well-understood class of malware that performs ad-fraud by making frequent connections to ad networks or websites in order to artificially inflate visitor counts or to generate revenue on a pay-per-click basis.”
A spokesperson for Apple confirmed that the 17 apps in question has been removes and are no longer available for download on the App Store.
The List of Infected Apps
The 17 apps with Trojan malware installed include the following:
- RTO Vehicle Information
- EMI Calculator & Loan Planner
- File Manager – Documents
- Smart GPS Speedometer
- CrickOne – Live Cricket Scores
- Daily Fitness – Yoga Poses
- FM Radio PRO – Internet Radio
- My Train Info – IRCTC & PNR (not listed under developer profile)
- Around Me Place Finder
- Easy Contacts Backup Manage
- Ramadan Times 2019 Pro
- Restaurant Finder – Find Food
- BMI Calculator PRO – BMR Calc
- Dual Accounts Pro
- Video Editor – Mute Video
- Islamic World PRO – Qibla
- Smart Video Compressor
All 17 infected apps are published on the App Stores in various countries by the same developer, India-based AppAspect Technologies Pvt. Ltd.