Ankara [Turkey]: While traveling to a country, tasting its traditional desserts is a must, especially if the country is Turkey. The country is famous for its traditional sweets that melt in your mouth and stay in your heart forever.
Here is a list of Turkish deserts that your taste buds deserve.
- Baklava – Rich, sweet pastry made of layers of filo, and filled with chopped nuts, this delicacy is sweetened and held together with syrup or honey. The sweet shops in Turkey are filled with varieties of Baklavas.
- Lokma – Lokma is probably the lightest and simplest of the desserts on this list. Lokma is fried dough balls soaked in sugary syrup. Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, this sweet melts in your mouth. You can easily eat 3-4 of them in one sitting, even more, if you feel like.
- Salep Ice Cream – This ice cream is not sold anywhere else in the world. Its main ingredient – salep – is protected by Turkey and is not exported. Salep is made from ground up orchids, making it very valuable as orchids take 7 or 8 years to grow. It’s then turned into ice cream, and mixed with mastic and whichever flavor (chocolate, strawberry, etc.) a customer desire.
- Muhallebi – A custardy dish that is best served cold on a hot summer day. These are among the rare types of guilt-free puddings made with starch and rice flour, and originally without any eggs or butter.
- Kunefe – Kunefe is one of the richest of all the Turkish desserts. A combination of a crispy, buttery shell packed with oozing hot cheese and topped with clotted cream and syrup and sprinkled with ground pistachios. One bite and this sweet dish will leave you craving for more.