Hyderabad: Eleven migrant workers from Bihar were charred to death due to a major fire mishap in Secunderabad.
As per the details of the incident, the fire broke out at a scrap godown in Bhoiguda. At the time of the incident, 12 workers were sleeping at the spot. Out of them, one person survived.
The mishap took place at 3 a.m. on Wednesday.
ANI quoted Gandhi Nagar SHO Mohan Rao saying that a shock circuit could be the reason for the fire incident. DRF has reached the spot to douse the fire.
- President Ram Nath Kovind and Prime Minister Narendra Modi have expressed deep grief over the death of 10 migrant workers in a huge fire at a scrap godown in Bhoiguda, Secunderabad.
- Minister Talasani Srinivas Yadav and Chief Secretary Somesh Kumar visited the site of the accident. The CS also visited the mortuary at the Gandhi Hospital and has inspected the dead bodies. He has directed the superintendent to conduct post mortem on the bodies and also asked him to conduct DNA tests on the bodies that are unidentifiable to find out the identity of the victims. He instructed the superintendent to provide the best possible treatment to 22 year old Prem undergoing treatment, according to a press note.
- All the victims were migrant workers from Chapra district Bihar and were asleep when the fire broke out. Barring one, the rest were between 23 and 35 years of age.
- Prem, 22 years old from Bihar is undergoing treatment currently. He managed to jump out of the fire and was rushed to Gandhi Hospital. No clarity yet on the severity of his situation.
- Mayor Gadwal Vijayalaxmi reached the accident site.
- “Any such godowns functioning in residential areas will be identified and closed to avoid such accidents into the future. Also, measures will be put in place so that, labour wont stay in the godowns in the night. Fire safety measures should be followed and if not, such illegal places will be identified and shut down. All our departments, Fire, Police and GHMC have worked really well in handling the incident. Such accidents happen more frequently during summers. we will make sure that such tragedies dont repeat. Its our responsibility to save human lives,” – Home Minister Mahmood Ali.
- Home Minister Mahmood Ali reached the accident site has briefed the press on the fire accident at Bhoiguda. “Bodies of six victims have been identified. Five, yet to be identified. Once the identification process is done, bodies will be sent to their respective places,” he said speaking to the press.
- Commissioner D S Chauhan said that the process of identification, inquest and post mortem are happening side by side.
- The fire incident took place in the morning around 4am. A team of firefighters arrived immediately and doused the fire. 11 people have died and one had escaped safely from the premises. Details will be given after investigation: L Sharman, Hyderabad District Collector
- Telangana state home minister Mohammed Mahmood Ali visited Gandhi Hospital mortuary.