Make public transport the first choice for travel: KTR

Hyderabad: In order to provide better facilities to the citizens with the changing time and situation, in this regard laying footpath with international standards, effective utilization of available road by redefining and providing better Public Transport facilities are some of the issues discussed in the meeting said Minister for MA&UD K.T. Rama Rao today.

The  Minister said in other metropolitan cities like Mumbai 72% of the public uses Public Transport System like local Trains, Bus Transport, whereas in Hyderabad only 34%  public use Public Transport System, the remaining 66% public use their own vehicle, private vehicles. And registration of new vehicles also increasing very high.

In order to encourage and push the public to use public transport system, effective and better management is being taken on plying of MMTS, Metro Rail and RTC and also providing a better walkway, availability of by-cycle path, sufficient parking facilities and also proposals of using private open spaces for parking facilities. On layout, open spaces construction of   Public toilets, Bus shelters, development of Greenery and providing street furniture will be taken.      

READ:  Purana Pul bridge closed for traffic after cracks on pillar

On the Comprehensive Road Maintenance program of 709 KM Main road for five years, the Minister instructed the Zonal Commissioners officials and agencies to start work from December 9.  Apart from filling potholes and laying new roads 50% of 709 KM in first year and 30% in 2nd year and 20% in 3rd year and its maintenance for two more years. Further, the agencies are the sole responsibility for road cutting for laying cables, drainage works, and other utility works that are done through this agency only. The agencies should have their own traffic consultant and try to provide better facilities with the utilisation of the latest technology.   

Further, the Minister suggested the idea of having on unified Command of Traffic Commissioner for GHMC area of three Commissionerates to have better coordination in regulating the traffic.  

READ:  'Messiah of Migrants' Sonu Sood shares a glimpse of 'help mails'

Since there is health consciousness increasing among the public, if better facilities, footpath, zebra Crossing and disabled friendly are provided and create confidence among the people, people are willing to take walkway and better parking facilities.     

On the measures of women protection, the Hon’ble Minister asked police officials to identify the trouble areas and keep regular vigilance and provide lighting in those areas. With the help of Mepma take awareness campaign on utilization of Dial 100 and Hawkeye in case of danger in this regard the Z.C. and D.C. should take initiative.   

GHMC, Mayor Bonthu Rammohan, D.G.P. Mahender Reddy, Principal Secretary Arvind Kumar, Commissioner GHMC Lokesh Kumar, All Zonal Commissioners, Police officials of three Zones, Director of Vigilance and Enforcement Dept, Viswajit Kamkpati and other senior officials attended the meeting.

Subscribe us on The Siasat Daily - Google News
Back to top button