Prince Habeebuddin Tucy, who claims to be a descendant of the last Mughal emperor, Bahadur Shah Zafar, has offered to donate a gold brick for a Ram temple at Ayodhya.
He, however, wants the Babri Masjid-Ram Janmabhoomi land to be handed over to him, insisting he is its rightful owner as a descendant of the first Mughal emperor, Babar, who was the ruler when the Babri Masjid was built in 1529.
Tucy said on Sunday that if the Supreme Court handed over the land to him, he would donate it for the construction of the Ram temple as he respected the sentiment of those who believed that a Ram temple stood at the place where Babri Masjid was built.
The mosque was demolished on December 6, 1992 by hundreds of ‘kar sevaks’ or activists.
The 50-year-old Tucy has filed a petition in the Supreme Court to include him in the title suit being heard by the top court. His petition is yet to be admitted for hearing.
Tucy argues that none of the parties to the case had documents to prove their claim but he did, as a descendant of Mughals. He said he had already decided to give the entire land for construction of the temple.
Tucy, who visited Ayodhya thrice and offered prayers at the makeshift temple, had pledged the land for the temple during his visit last year.
He also apologized to Hindus for the destruction of the Ram temple. He offered a symbolic apology by placing a ‘charan-paduka‘ on his head.