New Delhi: Two firemen died and as many were injured after an LPG cylinder exploded when they were fighting a blaze at a fast food joint in west Delhi’s Vikaspuri area today.
The blast occurred when a six-member fire brigade team had gone to attend a fire call at 5.35 AM. The initial blaze had started due to a short circuit, police said.
Two firefighters, Hari Singh Meena (48) and Hari Om (49), died after getting trapped in the fire caused by the blast, said a Delhi Fire Services official.
Hari Om was rushed to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital where he succumbed to injuries. Hari Singh Meena was taken to Park Hospital, Khyala, where he was declared brought dead.
Two other firefighters, Navin (32) and Ravinder Singh (33), suffered injuries and are undergoing treatment at BL Kapur Hospital.
Naveen’s condition is critical, while Singh is likely to be discharged tonight.
“We got a call around 5.30 AM about a fire in a small shop in H Block, Lal Market, in Vikaspuri. Two fire tenders were rushed to the spot,” the official said.
The shop, ‘Chitkora Food and Snacks’, is owned by Satpal Singh. There were four-five LPG cylinders kept in it, he said.
“The fire must have started after 2 AM and would have heat up the cylinders. Our firemen did not know there were cylinders kept inside.
“They cut the locks of the shutter using lock-cutters and barely rolled it up a few inches that the cylinder burst and the shutter was completely ripped off,” the fire official said.
“The firemen suffered more injuries because of the splintered shutter,” he said.
The flames were doused by 7.36 AM. Later, the district crime team and officials from forensic science lab inspected the spot, the officer said.
The post-mortem of bodies was conducted at DDU Hospital.
A case under relevant IPC sections, including 285 (negligent conduct with respect to fire or combustible matter), 336 (act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 304A (causing death by negligence) has been registered against unknown persons, a senior police officer said.